It’s recipe time. Today I am going to share my own creation: Potato Chicken Bacon Bake.
I have been waiting for a while to share this with Y’all!! Why? Because I seriously think this is the best thing I have come up with in a long time.
Now I know, realistically, that not EVERYONE will like it. That is totally okay! I can’t float everyone’s boat right.
I stumbled across this meal when I had nothing but chicken, potatoes, and bacon in the house. Go figure! Most of my best recipes come from when we have little in the cabinets.
Let’s start with the ingredients.
- 3 lbs. Yukon Potatoes, peeled, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 lb. boneless chicken strips, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 red onion sliced in strips
- 4 tbsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 lb. applewood smoked bacon
- 4 tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. black pepper
- 4 tbsp. cumin
- 3 tbsp. garlic powder
- 2 tbsp. onion powder
- 4 tbsp. chili powder
- 2 tbsp. paprika
- 2 tbsp. dried parsley
- 2-3 cups of shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 8 oz. sour cream
- green onions diced
Now I like to do my ‘mis en place’ as the French call it or ‘put everything in its place’ before I begin. It’s sort of like doing all the prep work. You just get all the prep stuff out of the way, so you can focus on cooking the meal.
- Start by dicing the chicken strips into bite-size pieces and placing in their own bowl.
- Wash, peel, and dice the potatoes into bite-size pieces and place in their own bowl.
- Butter a 9 1/2 by 11 in. baking dish (make sure to get the sides).
- Slice one red onion into strips and place into the bottom of the baking dish.
- Place the bacon on a slotted baking pan with a catch pan underneath and season the bacon with pepper. Bake at 425 until crisp and the fat is gone.
- Drizzle both the chicken and potatoes with 2 tbsp. of extra virgin olive oil…or enough to coat them well and hold the seasoning.
- Add 2 tbsp. cumin, 1 1/2 tbsp. garlic powder, 1 tbsp. onion powder, 2 tbsp. chili powder, 1 tbsp. paprika, 1 tbsp. dried parsley to the chicken and potatoes.
- Stir to coat all the chicken and potatoes.
- Place the potatoes in the baking dish, on top of the onions.
- Place the chicken on top of the potatoes.
- Your bacon should be done at this point, just pull out and set aside.
- Increase oven temperature to 450, and put in baking dish. Cook for 45 minutes – 1 hour, or until potatoes are done.
- About 10 minutes before you believe the potatoes will be fork tender, pull out and crumble the bacon on top, sprinkle with 2 cups of shredded sharp cheddar cheese.
- Return to oven to melt and complete cooking.
- Chop some green onions to garnish and serve a dollop of sour cream on top.
I am a huge believer in making what you eat your own!
With that said, I would love to have you try this recipe and tweak it. Then come back & share with me what you did. I am always up for new things!
Love ya ❤️ Bye Y’all!